(888) 676-7128

Need Affordable Child Custody Lawyer in Oregon
Talk to legal rep NOW. Submit your details to connect with a legal provider.

The basics of Oregon child custody

HomeChild Custody OregonThe basics of Oregon child custody

Child custody is a sensitive topic. The fact underlying this is that child is involved. Hence, in Oregon the laws and legal matters pertaining to child custody and parenting time, are same for married and unmarried parents. This is applied once, parenting is established.

Thus, it is significant that you are well aware of the basics of this law in Oregon:-

  • The case of custody and parenting initiates the moment, one of the parent files a petition for custody and parenting time.
  • The petitioner is the parent who files the petition, while, the respondent is the other parent.
  • In accordance with the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, for the court to provide decision with regards to custody and parenting time in Oregon, the child must have resided in the state for 6 months.
  • In order to notify the respondent, he or she is given the copy of the petition, whereby he or she is required to sign an “acceptance of service”. However, if the respondent is not found by the sheriff, an individual who meets the legal requirement or the like, the respondent is notified by publishing a notice in the newspaper.
  • After the service of the petition, the respondent gets 30 days to file a response with the court. In cases where the respondent fails to do so, the petitioner is granted everything he or she filed for the court.
  • The fee depends on the complication of the case. There is the court fee, the additional service fee, settlement fee, conferences fee and trial fee. However, the party can also ask for a fee waiver or deferral if he or she is unable to pay the same.
  • If the parties agree on a decision, the court trial ends soon. However, if a judge has to make a decision, it takes longer.
  • There is room for modification in accordance with the Oregon laws.

Important: The articles available on uslawyer.us are neither legal advice nor a replacement for an attorney. The contents are general information and guidance concerning different legal issues. We make sure that these articles prove helpful to you, but we do not promise or guarantee that they are suitable for your condition. We also do not take responsibility for any loss that might cause to you using these articles. Hence, we strictly suggest you get expert legal advice. It is also recommended to consult or hire an attorney in case of any doubt.