(888) 676-7128

Need Affordable Domestic violence Lawyer Near You?
Talk to legal rep NOW. Submit your details to connect with a legal provider.

Civil Harassment Vs Domestic Violence

HomeDomestic violenceCivil Harassment Vs Domestic Violence

There is often confusion in differentiating between domestic violence cases and civil harassment cases.

The boundary, however, is quite clear.

Difference between civil harassment and domestic violence

In civil harassment cases there is no relationship between the involved parties, while

In domestic violence cases, there is a defined, intimate relationship between them and hence, can be more harmful.

Misconception between domestic violence and civil harassment

In the U.S justice system, both categories are complementary, although there is a misconception that harassment is subcategorized as domestic violence.

Both of them involve violence or abuse, but the relationship with the perpetrators is essential to be considered.

It is easier to get a restraining order in domestic violence cases since the victim and the abuser are related, and it is in the interest of the victim to do so.

Failing this, the victim may face more abuse due to letting off of the abuser.

Getting an order for harassment is comparatively tricky since no relationship can be established between the parties, and it is necessary to prove that some harm or threat has taken place.

For example, harassment in verbal form is insufficient in civil harassment but sufficient in domestic violence cases.

In any case it is advisable to get advice from experts here

Important: The articles available on uslawyer.us are neither legal advice nor a replacement for an attorney. The contents are general information and guidance concerning different legal issues. We make sure that these articles prove helpful to you, but we do not promise or guarantee that they are suitable for your condition. We also do not take responsibility for any loss that might cause to you using these articles. Hence, we strictly suggest you get expert legal advice. It is also recommended to consult or hire an attorney in case of any doubt.