(888) 808-8831
Need Affordable Employer/Employee Issues Lawyer Near You?
Submit your details or call at (888) 808-8831 toll free

We respect your privacy. Your information will be sent securely and handled with care.

How and Where to File for a Worker’s Compensation Claim?

HomeEmployer/Employee IssuesHow and Where to File for a Worker’s Compensation Claim?

Not all, but most employees in the US are covered by the workers compensation law which entitles them a compensation claim if an accident related to their job occurs.

The compensation will cover injuries acquired from the line of work. It also covers illnesses suffered because of long-term exposure to hazardous chemicals or exposure to strenuous or tough working environments. Illnesses or injuries may vary widely. Sometimes it will pertain to hearing loss because of drilling; carpal tunnel syndrome because of excessive office typing; soreness of the back because of repetitive job duties. As long as it is work-related, you can file a compensation claim.

The question is how and where can you file for a compensation claim?

  1. First thing you need to do is get medical certifications that will support your right to claim. Let the medical professionals assess you or your family member’s condition.
  2. Inform your employer about your bad luck right away.
  3. If your employer refuses to respond to your emergency by holding back his or her cooperation because he or she attempts to keep your compensation rate to go high, you have to report him or her to the local worker’s compensation office.
  4. You need to fill up the form called Employee Claim C-3. The employer usually provides this form and it is his or her responsibility to send the form to the insurance company. If unfortunately your love one passed away because of accidents related to work, you need to workout the form C-64 and C-65. Remember that the last physician, who could give a professional opinion why and how the cause of death is work-related, should file C-64. The C-65 can be filed by the funeral home.

Filing for a worker’s compensation is not going to be easy. Your own employer and your insurance company will conduct their own investigation to dispute your claim. That’s why it would be best to arm yourself with a good lawyer.

Important: The articles available on are neither legal advice nor a replacement for an attorney. The contents are general information and guidance concerning different legal issues. We make sure that these articles prove helpful to you, but we do not promise or guarantee that they are suitable for your condition. We also do not take responsibility for any loss that might cause to you using these articles. Hence, we strictly suggest you get expert legal advice. Consult or hire an attorney in case of any doubt.