(888) 676-7128

Need Affordable Domestic violence Lawyer Near You?

How protection order help you?

HomeCriminal Charges Domestic violenceHow protection order help you?

Domestic violence survivors can attain criminal and civil protection or restraining order for protecting themselves from any abuse further.

Under EPO

Under emergency protection order(EPO), the police can ask the aggressor from the two parties involved, to leave the home. The police can also remove guns from the abuser or offer a short-term protection (3 to 7 days) to the victim

Criminal protection order

In criminal protection order, the district attorney can request to resolve a pending criminal case, or the judge can order protection to the victim from the perpetrator or defendant of the crime.

Different names for order of protection

All 50 states have protection orders named differently; some states term it as restraining order while some calls it orders of protection, injunction of protection or protection order.

REAd 6 measures to solve Domestic Violence


What are the different provisions in protection order?

The following orders may also extend protection to other family members, visitation and custody of children, pets, and current romantic partner of the victim.

  • Peaceful Contract Provision permits the abuser to communicate peacefully with the victim on limited reasons such as transfer of  visitation rights and care of the child.
  • Move out Provision provides the police to requests the abuser to move out of the house shared with the victim.
  • Counseling Provision orders the abuser to attend counseling and includes anger management, batterer’s intervention etc.
  • No Contact Provision prohibits the abuser from emailing, texting, stalking, calling, attacking, disturbing or hitting the victim.
  • Firearms Provision disallows abuser from purchasing any firearm and requests him/her to surrender guns in possession.

Violation of these protection orders can be treated as misdemeanors, felony or contempt of the court and observes strict penalties.

Whom can you contact for protection orders?

You can fill the required legal papers and obtain a protection order from your local court.

For a free review of your case, you can contact a domestic violence attorney who will follow the present state law and help you with evidences against the abuser.

Important: The articles available on uslawyer.us are neither legal advice, nor a replacement for an attorney. The articles are general information and guidance concerning different legal issues. We make sure that these articles prove helpful to you but we do not promise or guarantee that they are suitable to your condition. We also do not take responsibility for any loss that might cause to you using these articles. Hence, it is strictly suggested to not to rely on the information provided in these articles completely without getting expert legal advice. It is also suggested to consult or hire an attorney in case of any doubt.