Alike other US states, bankruptcy laws of Maryland are also to help people struggling hard to payback their debts. Filing bankruptcy gives you chance to start your life again.
Advantages of the laws:-
- Help people clear their debt
- Prevent their commerce and trade
- Very easy to file the case
- Fees for lawyers to file the case can be adjusted
In Maryland, you can file for any of the 4 bankruptcy depending on your case.
- Chapter 7 – This bankruptcy is also known as “straight” or “liquidation” bankruptcy. Under this chapter, all your property get sold except the “exemptions” to pay the creditors.
- Chapter 11 – Also known as “reorganisation”, this chapter is mainly used by big businesses and individuals having large debts.
- Chapter 12 – This chapter is for family farmers.
- Chapter 13 – This bankruptcy is known as “debt adjustment” and this chapter allows you more time to pay your debts.
Why you need a Bankruptcy lawyer in Maryland?
You can file bankruptcy by your own but as it require keen knowledge of laws to do the paperwork, it is always suggested to hire a good bankruptcy lawyer. Any mistakes or errors in the paperwork can lead you to serious consequences including criminal charges.
Your lawyer can also suggest you best suited bankruptcy chapter basis on your debts and situation.