Identity theft is stealing an individual’s identity, can be both financial like
- the banking pins,
- credit details as well as non-financial security service numbers,
- driver’s license,
- contact information and more,
in order to defraud or to impersonate the person, simply to obtain some benefits.
- Identity theft laws in Maryland are found under the code section Md. Ann. Code Crim §8-301.
- It is generally placed under a misdemeanor or a felony, depending upon the loss incurred.
- According to the identity theft laws Maryland,
courts can impose some penalties like the monetary fines, restitution and even varying periods of imprisonment in the state prison, depending upon the severity of the crime.