Several wrongs and frauds are being committed against consumers daily in marketplaces.The Illinois Consumer Law was designed in order to deter the people engaged in activities associated with trade and commerce from taking part deceptive conducts.
Illinois Consumer Law
The Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act is also referred to as “the Consumer Fraud Act.” This act was established in order to provide consumers with a remedy for the atrocities committed against them in the process of transacting business.
These practices could include sales fraud, false advertising and tampering on the odometer of already used vehicles.
Consumer Protection Acts
The Illinois Consumer Laws were established so as to protect the right of consumers from being violated by a number of unlawful practices. Some of the laws and unlawful practices that are associated with Consumer Protection in Illinois are.
- The Illinois Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act was designed to specifically prohibit certain businesses from partaking in unfair and deceptive practices so they can sell their goods and services.
- The Consumer Fraud Act imposes certain penalties in individuals or businesses that are found violating the law.
- In order to ensure uniformity in the opportunities to raise loans for people deserving of it, the equal credit opportunity was established.
- Whenever an individual is in debt, the creditors are prohibited to request for information concerning the debtor, such as race, gender, marital status, nationality and so on.
- Finally, the Motor Vehicle Retail Installment Sales Act ensures that it is compulsory for companies to specify the amount they charge as well as other charges and the price if the car.
Deception and False promises
The Consumer Fraud Act was designed in order to prevent the use of any form of fraud or deception which may range from omitting any form of fact important to the business transaction dealing and making false promises or pretenses.
Whenever deception is employed in a business transaction, the Consumer is permitted to bring a claim to the court under the act, even if the illegal conducts do not affect the consumer.
Questionable door-to-door sales
The Consumer Fraud Act has been designed to protect consumers from door-to-door sales that might be questionable. The Consumer Fraud Act grants the consumers with a grace period of three days, which can be used to terminate the transaction existing between the consumer and the seller who was physically present in the home of the consumer.
The transaction must involve the sale of merchandise worth a minimum of $25. The consumers must, however, be notified concerning his or her right to terminate the transaction by attaching to the contract or receipt of the transaction, a notice of cancelation form with a statement of his or her right to cancel.
Provided the transaction was terminated by the consumer by completing the required form within three business days, then a refund will be made in terms of the payment, check or traded property within 10 working days. Furthermore, the goods that had been delivered as a result of the transaction should also be returned.
Pyramid or Chain Sales Scheme
This act prohibits individuals from selling the records of consumers as it pertains to them, if the record was obtained at no cost or a particular amount from a consumer reporting agency or governmental agency, except the consumer has been pre-informed of such arrangement in writing.
It is required that provided a trader offers to sell goods through the use of a periodic payment plan, the terms of which must be stated on price tags, display, advertisement and other platforms for describing.
Real Estate transactions
The Act also makes it impossible for lenders in transactions involving real estate to require that their borrowers procure title insurance from a firm in particular.
This act prohibits utilities such as electric companies and telephone companies from altering your service without going through the required process.
Need a Illinois Consumer Lawyer check here to get affordable one