Joint or sole custody of the child can be awarded to one of the parents after the separation.
Diverse factors are considered by the courts in New York to determine child custody.
New York Child Custody Laws include:
- The best interests of the child and wishes of the child towards the custodian.
- Age of the child in case the child is a minor.
- Relationship of the child with the parents and siblings.
- Parenting skills, work schedules and the ability of the parents willing to become the custodian.
- Adjustments of the child to the
- school and
- the community around.
- Cases of domestic violence, if any.