To distribute the economic effects of divorce evenly between both the partners, the Alaska alimony laws offers Alimony called as Spousal support to the party with weak finances.
It can be awarded either as a whole sum of money or in installments.
If the support offered is periodic, it is treated as a taxable income.
Considerations for ALIMONY
- The court may order maintenance for temporary or permanent period by considering certain factors like:
- The length of the marriage, either long or short.
- The health and the age of the partners.
- Source of income, Educational background and earning capacities.
- Financial background.
- Custodial responsibility of children.
- Also the distribution of the marital property becomes an intricate factor in offering Alimony.