In the state of Tennessee, registering a Complaint starts the Tennessee divorce lawsuit process.
The person who files for separation first is Complainer. Generally, this is called a Petition for legal separation.
The court requires that certain statistical information be disclosed in a Complaint for Divorce along with the Certificate of Divorce.
- After the Complaint is registered, the Clerk of the Court issues a Summons.
- For a lawsuit to initiate, both the Plaintiff and Summons must serve on the other partner.
- Specific requirements for service must fulfill. Otherwise, the divorce may not sanction.
- Generally, a Sheriff’s Deputy will serve the Complaint and Summons on the other partner.
- A new way of serving process is done by mail.