Submit a Request...Receive the help you need!
We've helped 80 clients find affordable attorneys today.

Click here to know more about membership

  • Members have 24/7 emergency access to their attorneys via Mobile App.
  • Legal consultation for all personal legal matters.
  • You get instant access to your own dedicated law firm.
  • Membership covers you, your spouse/partner, children and dependents.
  • 101 more reasons. Read here

Vermont Divorce Law

HomeDivorce VermontVermont Divorce Law

In Vermont divorce law, a petition for divorce can be brought in case either of the spouses has resided within the state for a time span of 180 days or more.

A divorce shall not be mandated for any reason, unless the complainer or the defendant has stayed in the state for an annum prior to the date of final hearing.

If the person has retained residence in Vermont, then temporary absence from the province due to

illness, job, work in the military camp, would not affect the requirements.

  • Complaints for separation for any reason and for confirming the matrimonial contract shall be provided in the county in which the parties reside.
  • Higher courts shall hear and consider complaints for legal separation and for affirming the bonding contract.
  • Vermont is a state of equitable distribution.
  • Title to the assets, whether in the names of the wife or husband or both or a nominee,

would not be considered unless equitable distribution can be done without disturbing separate assets.

Important: The articles available on are neither legal advice, nor a replacement for an attorney. The articles are general information and guidance concerning different legal issues. We make sure that these articles prove helpful to you but we do not promise or guarantee that they are suitable to your condition. We also do not take responsibility for any loss that might cause to you using these articles. Hence, it is strictly suggested to not to rely on the information provided in these articles completely without getting expert legal advice. It is also suggested to consult or hire an attorney in case of any doubt.