Divorce is a legal action which dissolves a marriage. However, if you are planning to get divorced in the city of New York,
you will be required to be eligible with respect to the following Grounds for Divorce:-
- You need to be lawfully married. The marriage could have been in New York or any other state in the United States.
- You and your spouse must provide satisfactory residency requirements.
- There is required a legally acceptable ground for ending your marriage.
- There are two types of divorce- contested and uncontested divorce. If you and your spouse agree on the terms of your divorce, it falls under uncontested divorce, and vice-versa.
- You are required to distribute joint marital property.
- You might be required to give the payment of spousal support.
- You are at the same time needed to resolve any issue pertaining to child custody, visitation and child support.
It is best to take the aid of a lawyer when you are in the process of filing for divorce in New York. It is because there are many legal formalities necessary.
There are many numbers of forms required as well. You can contact the legal aid services in your city, to witness if the process is pursued for free.
If you have qualified for the low income criteria you will not be required to charge for the same.
Moreover, if your divorce case involves custody, visitation, and order of protection issues you are required to have a lawyer to ease the process.
You can at the same time take aid from the local bar association in the scenario of not qualifying for low income.
You will be required to go to the Supreme Court of the State of New York for the same. The matrimonial clerk will be able to guide you for the same.